Psilocybin is a well-known increasingly popular psychedelic that has been gaining more attention recently, especially in DC. Sometimes referred to as ‘shrooms’ or ‘magic mushrooms’, psilocybin products are now available throughout the capital with no legal ramifications! In fact, in 2020, the District of Columbia decriminalized psilocybin with DC Incentive 81, becoming one of the first US jurisdictions to do so.Order Now
Magic mushrooms have long been used for medicinal, spiritual, and recreational purposes. And now, many DC cannabis dispensaries are discovering that their customers enjoy shrooms just as much as they do weed! So, if you’re willing and able to try something different, why not try psilocybin?
At Lifted DC, we don’t just sell cannabis. We offer the tastiest edibles containing psilocybin too. We can give you the lowdown on the history of shrooms, what to expect from your experience, and the best environment to set up so you’re well-prepared for the truly mind-expanding journey! To order for pickup, simply select the psilocybin products you want on our edibles menu and follow the on-screen instructions. If you have any questions, please call us at (202) 332-8495 or send us a message through our website.
- 1 About Psilocybin
- 2 What Does Psilocybin Feel Like?
- 3 Stay Safe, Stay Comfortable, & Enjoy Your Trip!
- 4 Putting the Magic into Mushrooms
- 5 Using Shrooms
- 6 Psilocybin at Lifted DC
- 7 Shrooms for Pickup in Washington DC
- 8 FAQ
- 9 References
Psilocybin is a psychoactive compound found in certain species of mushrooms which produce hallucinogenic effects when consumed. It has been used for centuries by indigenous cultures in Central and South America for ceremonial and religious purposes. (1) It has also been used recreationally for many hundreds of years.
Although the use of magic mushrooms has a long history, little was really known about their scientific makeup until the middle of the 20th century. Swiss chemist Albert Hoffman first identified and synthesized the psychoactive compounds in psilocybe mushrooms in the 1950s, prompting further research into their properties. However, after the psychedelics explosion in the 1960s and 70s, psilocybin was classified under Schedule I by the US Drug Enforcement Agency. (2)
In recent years, there has been a growing interest in the potential therapeutic uses of these fungi, with some states decriminalizing their use and others allowing the production and sale of edibles. In fact an estimated 5.5 million Americans use hallucinogens every year! (3)
Common Psilocybin Mushroom Species
- Psilocybe cubensis (“cubes”)
- Psilocybe semilanceata (“liberty cap”)
- Psilocybe azurescens (“flying saucers”)
- Psilocybin tampanensis (“philosopher’s stone”)
- Panaeolus cyanescens (“blue meanies”)
- Psilocybe zapotecorum (“badao”)
- Psilocybe mexicana (“teonanacatl”)
How Does Psilocybin Work?
Psilocybin works by binding to serotonin receptors in the brain, triggering changes in brain chemistry. This can lead to altered states of consciousness, heightened emotions, and a feeling of connection with nature, among other possible effects. The therapeutic effects of psilocybin are still being studied, however some studies have shown that it can be useful in treating a variety of conditions including depression, anxiety, (4) PTSD, and addiction.
What Does Psilocybin Feel Like?
Although every individual’s experience is different, there are some common effects you can expect when you’re using shroom-based products. A good rule to follow is to be open-minded and understanding of the effects of your chosen goods beforehand.
- You might feel extreme waves of happiness (euphoria) while you are using psilocybin.
- You might feel like you have a spiritual connection with things. This is sometimes known as a “mystical” or “transcendental” experience.
- You might see things or hear sounds that aren’t really there.
- You might feel you have a deeper relationship with nature and the Earth.
- You might lose track of time, or perceive time, space, and reality differently.
- You might feel more panicked or paranoid than normal.
- Your pupils might be much bigger.
- You might feel more drowsy.
- Your heart rate, blood pressure, and temperature might increase.
- You might not have as much control over your body movements.
- You might get a headache.
- You might feel nauseous.
Stay Safe, Stay Comfortable, & Enjoy Your Trip!
It’s a good idea to speak to someone who has used mushrooms before you use them yourself, as this can give you some insight into what to expect. All we’ll say is prepare for some interesting stories! Similarly, some people enjoy psilocybin with “chaperone”, a sober person who keeps you on the right track while you’re experiencing the psychedelic effects. It’s also best to experience shrooms in a familiar, comfortable environment such as your own living room.
Putting the Magic into Mushrooms
Many people get a lot out of psilocybin-based products. Users may experience the following.
- Improved mood and increased feelings of well-being
- Reduced anxiety and stress
- Increased creativity and problem-solving capabilities
- Heightened sense of connection with nature
- Increased empathy and compassion
If you’re looking to get started with using magic mushrooms, there are a few different ways to go about it.
As is or Cooked
The most common and well-studied types of magic mushrooms have a distinct taste. This includes species such as Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe semilanceata, and Psilocybe mexicana. Their taste is often described as slightly earthy or nutty. They can be eaten raw or cooked, but most people find it easier to eat them combined with something else.
If you want to avoid the unique taste of raw mushrooms, making tea is a great way to enjoy the effects. To make mushroom tea, simply mix a mushroom tea bag or mushroom powder with hot water and steep for 15 minutes. You may also add sugar, honey, or lemon to mask the taste further. If possible, let your tea cool before drinking it so that the active ingredients are not destroyed by the heat.
It used to be a messy affair if you wanted to make shroom chocolate. Now, thanks to certain DC dispensaries like us, there’s no need to melt chocolate and mix it with shrooms in molds, as the sweet treats come pre-packaged and ready to eat! Now you can buy mushroom chocolates you can measure out by the piece. Be sure to gauge how much you should be taking at once.
If you want to get the full effects of magic mushrooms, one of the best options is to buy powdered mushrooms. Add them to your favorite drinks, snacks, and food. Powdered mushrooms are available from select vendors, like Lifted DC, and come in a range of potencies. When using powdered mushrooms, start with a low dose and increase gradually until you reach the desired effect.
Tinctures are an easy and discreet way to enjoy the effects of magic mushrooms without having to consume large amounts of powder. Tinctures can have a powerful effect, so start with a small dose and work your way up.
Psilocybin at Lifted DC
At Lifted DC, we offer a range of products containing magic mushrooms. Our edibles are carefully crafted to ensure quality and consistency. These delicious treats are perfect for those who don’t want to consume mushrooms directly and prefer a more palatable option!
- Golden Halos 3.5g
- Penis Envy 3.5g
- Infinity Shards Shroom Gummies 3.5g or 7g
- Psilo-Vibin Shroom Bar (Milk Chocolate Bar) 6g Psilocybin
- Trippy Caps Tincture 8ml (12g)
- Unveiled Shroom Psilocybin Tea (3 Tea Bags) 1.25g per bag
- Trippy Caps Psilocybin Powder 3g
- Trippy Caps Psilocybin Chocolates 4 pieces, 4g
Shrooms for Pickup in Washington DC
At Lifted DC, we believe that everyone should have access to the potential therapeutic benefits of magic mushrooms. So, take a look at our edibles menu, select your favorite psilocybin products, and come on down to see us!
Are shrooms legal in Washington DC?
Yes, psilocybin has been decriminalized in Washington DC.
What are some of the benefits of using magic mushrooms?
Many people report feeling more connected to nature, increased creativity, improved emotional balance, and enhanced spirituality. Some also report reduced anxiety, improved focus, and improved sleep.
Are there any long-term side effects of using magic mushrooms?
Most of the short-term side effects of magic mushrooms will disappear shortly after the trip ends. However, in rare cases, people may experience lingering psychological effects, such as flashbacks, depression, or anxiety. It is important to be aware of these potential risks before consuming magic mushrooms.
- Lowe H, Toyang N, Steele B, et al. The Therapeutic Potential of Psilocybin. Molecules. 2021;26(10):2948. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26102948
- Geiger HA, Wurst MG, Daniels RN. DARK Classics in Chemical Neuroscience: Psilocybin. ACS Chemical Neuroscience. 2018;9(10):2438-2447. doi:https://doi.org/10.1021/acschemneuro.8b00186
- Livne O, Shmulewitz D, Walsh C, Hasin DS. Adolescent and adult time trends in US hallucinogen use, 2002–19: any use, and use of ecstasy, LSD and PCP. Addiction. Published online August 17, 2022. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/add.15987
- Bogadi M, Kaštelan S. A potential effect of psilocybin on anxiety in neurotic personality structures in adolescents. Croatian Medical Journal. 2021;62(5):528-530. doi:https://doi.org/10.3325/cmj.2021.62.528